If you love our weekend Breakfast Sandwich but can't make it to the shop, here's how to make one for yourself!
- 3 Blocks Extra Firm Tofu
- 6 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon Black Salt*
- 1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 2 teaspoons Granulated Garlic
- 2 teaspoons Cumin
- 2 teaspoons Turmeric
Preheat oven to 350º F. Drain and press tofu to release extra water. Combine oil, spices, and nutritional yeast in a small bowl. Slice tofu in ¼” slices and spread on a lined baking sheet. Cover tofu in the oil slurry. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes until tofu is firm and slightly browned.
Makes 4-5 servings.
* Side note: “black salt” is a fine-grained salt available in many Asian grocery stores. Light gray to purple in color, it lends a sulfuric flavor and aroma similar to egg. It can be substituted for regular kosher or iodized salt if needed.
Red Pepper Sauce
- 1 28 oz Can Roasted Red Peppers
- ¼ Diced Red Onion
- 3 Tablespoons Minced Garlic
- 3 Tablespoons Minced Fresh Parsley
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Capers
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- ½ teaspoons Salt
- ½ teaspoons Black Pepper
- ¾ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Blend all ingredients except oil in the blender. While the motor is running slowly add olive oil. Blend until liquid is slightly emulsified and a shade lighter in color. Makes about 1 quart of sauce.
Building the sandwich
- 2 Thick Slices of Bread or Bagel Cut in Half
- 3 - 4 Slices Vegan White Cheddar
- 3 - 4 Slices Tofu Egg
- ½ 13 oz Log Vegan All American Breakfast Sausage, sliced into ¼” slabs
- ½ Cup Fresh Spinach/Arugula Mix
- ¼ Cup Red Pepper Sauce
Drizzle red pepper sauce on the insides of bread or bagel. Place cheese, tofu egg, and breakfast sausage on one slice of bread. Top with spinach/arugula mix and put bread slices together. Heat in the oven or panini press until cheese is melted. Ingredients can also be heated beforehand if you do not want to heat the sandwich as a whole.